What can it be like living in Thailand? Which exactly are the advantages and disadvantages? Who’s this lifestyle for? This really is a behindthescenes look at surviving in Thailand as a foreigner.
When I tell people that I stay in Thailand, I frequently get feedback along the lines of”You’re so blessed”,”I’d love to be able to do that too”,”You live in paradise”, or”What an awesome lifestyle.”
For those people who are not sure on which continent Thailand is and that have a hard time locating it on a map, then here is just a tip. China is no problem to get on a map, so it’s plenty big enough. If you search for the weakest or lowest aspect of China, you may see Thailand right below there and other tiny countries like Burma, Cambodia and Vietnam.
A simple solution to find it will be always to Google”google maps”, and up pops up a world map that you can easily move on your own screen. If you take a look at a globe, it is possible to observe that Thailand reaches the opposite side of the planet in the event that you’re from America.
Therefore why would anybody want to live half way around the world at a country where folks speak an entirely different language and also have a very different culture and customs?
There certainly are a number of reasons.
1. Cash : Financially it makes sense to devote your time at a position where your dollars or Euros go a lot farther than at home country. Purchasing the exact quality of living to get a third of this cost is an extremely attractive concept, and countless of westerners have chosen an expatriate lifestyle for this reason.
Is all cheaper in Thailand? No, some matters are somewhat more expensive than from the West. Many electronics cost more. For instance cameras can be up to 50 per cent more expensive than in the US. Cars are also no bargain in Thailand, and especially 2nd hand cars cost more than they want in the united states.
Although you wouldn’t save anything buying a car, you will have the ability to maintain it for less than at the West because the cost of labour in Thailand is very affordable. As an instance my motorcycle mechanic brings me roughly US $6. – per hourand there are little hole-in the-wall shops that only charge about $3. – one hour or so. A dealership could charge $10. – one hour or so service. S O cost of labor is where your savings will likely be.
Thailand has very significant import duties helping to make many imported items extremely pricey. Japanese style foods and imported health food items can cost twice as far as in the US.
But in the event you take in Thai food, then buy your groceries at Thai markets, and eat out in simple Thai restaurants, you can probably pay a third or even a fourth of that which you’d pay in the usa.
In Chiang Mai, one of the very popular cities in Thailand, you can rent an efficiency apartment out of $100 to $150. Even more upscale apartments will be significantly less than half of comparable western rentals.
Shipping is also very reasonable.
2. Climate: If you reside in a cold climate, ssru you might reside in Thailand instead and enjoy hot tropical weather. You might be suntanning at the beach instead of shoveling snow at home. This really is an alternative for retired individuals or for those who have a company which can be conducted online. Examples are the stock market investors, internet marketers, copywriters, travel writers, or eBay sellers.
Thailand includes two seasons at the southern area: Hot and relatively chilly for a couple months during winter, also hot and rainy for the remaining portion of the season. The northern part contains three seasons: Pleasant, relatively cool and dry from November to February, very hot and dry from March through May, and rainy and pretty sexy from June through October. The rainy season in northern Thailand is still an off and on occasion, maybe not really a constant monsoon. It’s actually my favorite time of the year. The clouds keep down the temperature, the rains keep the atmosphere clean, and everything is green and lush.
3. Relationships: tens and tens of thousands of western men are finding partners or wives in Thailand. Before you make up your mind what’s right or wrong with this particular, there is a very helpful collection of nine articles with this subject that research it from all angles.
4. Medical maintenance : Medical treatments, dental care and massage all cost a fraction of western prices, and quality standards are high. Care prices begin at $5 per hour in the northern area, whereas in the southern shore areas you pay nearly twice as much, which remains a fraction of western prices. Medical and dental care are less than half what you’d pay from the western world. The ideal clinic in my hometown of Chiangmai is currently Ram Hospital. One of the best known dental practices which cater to westerners is Grace Dental Clinic. Both centers are modern, have the most recent equipment, and also very friendly staff.
5. Studying Thai massage: A huge number of westerners come to Thailand every year to learn Thai massage that’s enjoying a surge in popularity all over the entire world. Many have turned it in to a full time profession by starting a brand new career or else they enhanced their current curative arts career.
In short here are some experts for living in Thailand: that the cost of living is lower, the pace of life is slower, people are friendly and accommodating, the weather is always hot, health care and massage therapy are very cheap, there are many brilliant festivals during the entire year, also for men it’s not difficult to discover a lady partner.
There are a number of drawbacks as well: The Thai language isn’t easy to learn for some westerners, and you’ll certainly be mostly confined to contacts from the ex pat community. Thai culture may be fascinating and interesting, but it’s different enough that you’ll never really become part of it. Thais think very differently from westerners, and so they do not express their feelings. Thus most of times you will not know what they are thinking.
Thailand is really a somewhat modern and well organized country, atleast by southeast Asian standards. You can get most all you want or want. However, that you never have the exact rights as you do in your home. You cannot fully own property or a company, and in most legal disputes you could lose contrary to the Thais, even when you’re right.
In the north of Thailand there are major smog issues during February, March and April because of indiscriminate burning practices in agriculture and other areas, and also heat can actually get to you through that time of this year.
Thailand may well not exactly be paradise, but it’s a excellent area to be, and also thousands and thousands of westerners are finding a life style here that suits them well.